The 12-digit distinctive ID in an Aadhaar card is issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) to every individual living in India. Applying for Aadhaar is a single-time exercise that is in force throughout your life. The enrollment process for the Aadhaar card, your demographic detail and biometric data are captured. Thus, it is considered an advanced mode to use as an authentication tool to verify your identity. Read further to understand why and how to change mobile number in Aadhaar database.
Why is it Important to Update Your Mobile Number on the Aadhaar Database?
While enrolling for an Aadhaar card, you are required to provide a valid email ID and contact number. This is later used as your permanent contact information in the Aadhaar database. Although updating your mobile number is not mandatory, it is essential to take advantage of several of Aadhaar’s online amenities and benefits. Not only this, but you also receive vital notifications and messages related to your Aadhaar on your mobile number.
The following are some of the reasons why you must add or change your mobile number on the Aadhaar database:
- Steps have been taken by the Income Tax Department to link your PAN card with your Aadhaar number. To do so, you would need to visit the income tax e-filing official website. To file a hassle-free Income Tax Return (ITR) offline with a paperless e-filing return, authentication via an Aadhaar one-time password (OTP) would be required. This OTP is sent to the linked mobile number.
- Updating your mobile number in your Aadhaar database will support you in completing your required e-KYC procedures.
- Any Provident Fund (PF) related services with Employees Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) like PF withdrawal would be convenient if your Aadhaar number is linked to your PF account. You would be required to give your mobile number to do so.
- Sanction of Aadhaar holders for numerous services (such as social benefits, non-government and government services, pensions, and benefits to get subsidies) makes it crucial to verify your Aadhaar data. This data includes your updated mobile number.
How to Change Mobile Number in Aadhaar?
Once you comprehend the importance of updating your mobile number in the Aadhaar database, your next obvious question would be how to change your mobile number in your Aadhaar. It could be that you lost your mobile or deactivated your previous number due to unavoidable circumstances. In case you have restored the same contact number after losing your phone, you can update UIDAI’s central database of the situation.
To know how to change your mobile number in your Aadhaar if you have replaced your contact number, follow the below-given simple steps:
- Step 1 – Visit https://uidai.gov.in/ to book an appointment at an Aadhaar Enrolment Centre. You can locate it by clicking on “My Aadhaar” on the homepage and then proceeding to select “Get Aadhaar”.
- Step 2 – Fill in the Aadhaar Correction or Update form. Do not forget to mention your updated mobile number.
- Step 3 – Submit the filled form to the Aadhaar officer.
- Step 4 – A nominal fee of Rs. 50 is required to pay upon utilisation of this service.
- Step 5 – You will receive an acknowledgment slip with a URN (Update Request Number).
- Step 6 – You can use the URN to track the status of the updation of your mobile number.
- Step 7 – Your mobile number should be updated in the Aadhaar database within 90 days.
Remember that these random 12-digit numbers help the government provide suitable benefits to the Indian inhabitants and moderate the corruption in India’s economy. As seen before in developed countries like the USA, the implementation of unique ID number aid in the security and safety of the residents. To make the most of the Aadhaar-related services and benefits, know how to change your mobile number in Aadhaar today.
- Can the SSUP (Self-Service Update Portal) be used to add or change a mobile number?
No, it is not possible to add or change a mobile number via the SSUP portal. You would need to visit the Aadhaar Enrolment Centre to do so.
2. Do I need to have my cell number registered in the Aadhaar database to request any other type of update using SSUP?
Yes, it is mandatory to have your mobile number registered in your Aadhaar database if you want to utilise the SSUP portal. If not, you can visit your nearest Permanent Enrolment center along with the required supporting documents to register your mobile number.
3. How to change my mobile number in my Aadhaar online?
You cannot update or change your mobile number online. To do so, you would need to visit your nearest Permanent Enrolment center. But you can download the Aadhaar Correction or Update form on the official website of UIDAI.
4. Is adding a mobile number and changing a mobile number in the Aadhaar database two different processes?
Yes, adding and changing a mobile number means two different things. The process to add a mobile number to the Aadhaar database involves registering the phone number for the first time. Whereas, changing a phone number involves updating the previously mentioned contact number in the database.